Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hard Work doesn't count UNTIL you LISTEN! (NEW VIDEO)


Earlier on this morning I was on the phone with my older sister in Tanzania.
One of the first questions she asked me was about this artist I worked with & where was the VIDEO.
Each night had it's own twists & turns. We worked but still had room for fun.

My sister had seen me work rigorously with this group and everyday I came back home in the morning tired from exhaustion. No assistants, no team, just me, the camera and the artist. 
 This video took us almost a week to film and it has the longest story behind it but I am happy to have completed the project. We begged the people at Maisha Club to film and they let us for three consecutive nights. It was weird because
while people were partying we had equipment setup everywhere.

First twist, I was supposed to be heading back to the states and by our luck I stumbled upon an old friend. During my prior trip I had spoken to this artist named Jon Myuzik and actually told him about creating a song that had worldwide appeal. Basically the track had to be in English because it speaks to people everywhere. We have wonderful and talented musicians but at times we need to market those gifts and that requires English.

I grew up in Tanzania so listening to music I didn't understand never bothered me, on the other hand people in other places don't have so much patience. Before I knew it, I changed my flight in order to accommodate this shoot that was scheduled for two days. Of course it took way longer but who's counting, we had fun. We tried a lot of different locations, some made it and others did not.

This was Jon's first video and he was ecstatic about this new track coming out. Prior to my knowledge he was on radio creating hype for the VIDEO and the pressure was growing. At first I attempted to create a story-like video but it failed horribly.
We were supposed to be shootin in this Bentley but it's a long long story. We made it work tho!
Several people voiced their opinions after seeing the initial video, they gave me their feedback and luckily I listened. I went back to the drawing board and in time everyone was happy. 
These two; just hilarious - aspiring artists who threatened me if I don't direct their next song.
Lol, as Tanzanians we are hustlers and God blessed us with amazing personalities. 
#LESSON LEARNED - Always Listen! Even if you hate to LISTEN like me but LISTENING to people always benefits you. As a producer, director, artist, parent, sibling whatever - even when you do not agree just LISTEN to see a different perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment