Friday, January 27, 2012

NEW TASTE - Soccer & Football, Football is Soccer

Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi, Beckham and the list goes on and on. All these names and you couldn't get one of my friends in NY to name even five players in the game of football. Football on these shores is the sport I grew up watching and it's what we call a man's game because it's full contact. When in Tanzania or Kenya I usually have no option but to sit and watch their football. 

At first during these matches, I wasn't really interested and neither did I partake in the festivities. To me the game seemed boring and lacked any sort of true strategy. It was people kicking the ball around for 45minutes switching sides and doing the same exact thing for another half.  It was crazie because everywhere I went the matches were on: in the taxi, at the pool, in the pubs, restaurants even at people's jobs it was true dedication. 
In the following weeks and months I got a lil bit more tolerant to watching the game. I am a competitive person so it was my nephews who got me into watching. During this time we usually played FIFA and when it comes to competition I don't care if it's cricket or canoeing. Playing FIFA everyday kind of got me used to watching the game. It was the same for GOLF in the states, I never liked golf until I played it on Playstation. Now I know a bunker, various golf clubs, par, birdie and other terms. It's not like I like golf but I am able to appreciate their profession because I do understand the difficulty. 


Each day we would sit in the living room and play rounds through rounds of tournaments. Sad to say I think I won only two games out of a million but I am proud to say that now I am a true FOOTBALL fan. I like both sports and within three weeks or I know a lot more than the average fan. I am able to look at a game and notice the formation, dependent on the style (defensive or offensive) each team is different. During the games each team has their own temple, Barcelona is fast paced. A team like Man City just likes to grind you down, they are bullies almost. Now that I am able to understand the game I can patiently unless it's my team, sit down and watch. The sport has unique athletes like Rooney and Drogba who present a different type of entertainment. I get tired of people comparing sports because an athlete is an athlete. Lebron isn't Chris Johnson, neither is Usain Bold compared Roger Federer. Each athlete has their own unique abilities and it's just for your entertainment. Why even constrict yourself to a particular sport? Remember Michael Phelps! An ATHLETE is an ATHLETE

No comments:

Post a Comment